ATS3208: In the footsteps of refugees
This intensive unit will examine one of the largest and most visible refugee movements of the late twentieth century, in which more than two million Vietnamese left their homeland in the two decades following the end of the Vietnam War in 1975.
It will include a field trip to Vietnam and Indonesia, and explore the site of the former refugee camp of Pulau Galang in Indonesia. Galang is a site of pilgrimage for survivors and the only former refugee camp to have been preserved.
A series of lectures and seminars will introduce students to the experiences of Vietnamese refugees, and students will be able to reflect on the refugees’ journeys, their resettlement experiences in Australia, and the nature of remembrance.
Click here for detailed program information which includes key dates, program fee details and financial information.
Areas of study
You will be required to submit a personal statement as part of your application. Write a brief personal statement (no more than 250 words) outlining the following:Why would you like to undertake this program
- What inspired you to apply for this program.
- What would you like to learn from this program.
- What skills, experience or insight could you bring to the group.
- For program fee details such as cost, inclusions and exclusions, refer to the program website.
- You will be required to pay the Program fee deposit of $500 at the time of application - pay using 'Shop Monash'.
- Tuition fees: Monash students will be charged fees according to their verified funding status. This fee will appear on your Monash Fee Statement.
- New Colombo Plan Mobility Grants of $3,000 available for this program.
- Funding will be distributed to students who apply and submit their personal statements and are accepted into the program.
Student Travel Insurance
- You must have a valid Passport that does not expire until AT LEAST six months after the program end date. If you do not have a valid passport please organise now!
Faculty Pre-Departure Information Session
- Please refer to Student Travel Insurance for further information on the insurance policy. Please read the information before asking Monash Abroad any questions about your insurance.
When you have completed your application:
- The compulsory pre-departure session will be held approximately 6 weeks before departure. Refer to the program website for venue and date information.
- Click SUBMIT APPLICATION - or the application will remain pending and will not be assessed.